Goldcorp Inc. retains a 40% ownership control over Tahoe Resources. Tahoe Resources was founded by Kevin MacArthur, its CEO, after he stepped down from being the CEO of Goldcorp. MacArthur oversaw the development of Goldcorp’s most profitable mine worldwide, the “Marlin Mine”, that since 2004 has caused widely documented health and environmental harms, human rights violations and repression in Mayan Mam territories in western Guatemala.
Election results are often contested, and that is one reason why governments sometimes invite official observer missions from inter-governmental bodies such as the Organization of American States (OAS) or European Union (EU). But there are times and places when these outside organizations don't provide much in the way of independent observation.
- Link to photo-essay by James Rodriguez, “Wartime Victims Exhumed From Former Military Base Return to Pambach”
- Links to previous Rights Action pieces, addressing on-going struggles for truth, memory and justice
According to Leo Gabriel, the European delegation had a heated internal debate about the preparation of its report. On Tuesday Nov. 26, the European Union electoral observation mission (EU-EOM) presented a preliminary report on the Honduran elections to the national and international press. Despite demonstrating “serious signs of trafficking in [election worker] credentials and other irregularities”, in addition to a “clear imbalance in the visibility of different [political] parties in the media” and “a lack of transparency in electoral campaign financing,” the mission gave high marks “in terms of voting transparency as well respect for the will of voters in the tabulation.”
- Results of Honduran Elections Fraudulently Changed, Says European Union Observer (UpsideDownWorld)
- Honduras Candidate Makes Case for Election Fraud (New York Times)
- Honduras Election Results Challenged (Associated Press)