"It is still easy, as it has been for most of the last half-century, to see Guatemala as a dark place with no exit. The deep inequality that has plagued the country since the days of conquest continues. So does the culture of violence that has enveloped Guatemala since the 1954 coup. Yet the opening of the police archive, Ríos Montt's conviction, and the commemoration of Árbenz can be seen as a historical sequence, testifying to the resilience of a devastated society and offering glimmers of hope that were all but unimaginable just a few years ago." (Stephen Kinzer)
A summary of many of the grassroots organizations and individuals, and their projects and struggles, that Rights Action has supported this year with your funds.
It should not understood as a ‘crisis’ that this crime of baby-kidnapping continues to occur on a widespread basis in Guatemala. This is what impunity and a fundamental lack of democracy look like. Powerful economic interests – national and international – act with impunity and can easily get away with crimes and human rights violations in Guatemala. It is the nature of how this unjust country operates.
- Urgent Communiqué on the Massacre in Nacahuil, Guatemala. By various Guatemalan indigenous and grassroots groups
- Gunmen kill 11, wound 18 in poor Guatemalan town. By Sonia Perez D. Associated Press
Open Letter to Hudbay Minerals and Guatemalan Nickel Company
At 6:45pm, May 10, 2013, Guatemalan general Efrain Rios Montt was found guilty in a Guatemalan court of genocide and crimes against humanity and sentenced to 80 years in jail.
- Associated Press: “ GUATEMALA WAR TRIAL PUTS PAST CLOSER TO PRESIDENT”
- Reuters: “WITNESS AT EX-DICTATOR'S TRIAL LINKS GUATEMALAN PRESIDENT TO WAR CRIMES”
MORE REPRESSION EXPECTED AT ANOTHER GOLDCORP–LINKED MINE IN GUATEMALA
GOLDCORP INC. AND TAHOE RESOURCES INC. MINING INTERESTS IN GUATEMALA LINKED TO THE ILLEGAL KIDNAPPING OF FOUR INDIGENOUS LEADERS, AND THE BRUTAL ASSASSINATION OF ONE
- Article: NEW DOCUMENTS SHOW REAGAN GAVE GO-AHEAD TO MAYAN GENOCIDE
- Article: GENOCIDE ON TRIAL IN GUATEMALA, SETTING MODEL FOR REGION
- GHRC: international accompaniers wanted
- How to support?